Sunday, January 16, 2011

Full Circle

So, today I did PF Chang's here in Phoenix again, the race that got me into this whole affair a year ago.  And while I didn't break any records I did stay in the realm of things (no PW, like I feared!) for me.  And it was good to run my inaugural route again and see how far I've come.  I'll have to do a post on awesome Things I've Learned, because I spent a lot of today's run thinking over (and using, thankfully) such helpful tidbits as "get your water at the end of the line, not the beginning", and "cut corners to avoid running further than the race is measured", and the ever-popular and -present "MOVE, bish git out the way!!"...

I've learned to eat more.  I finished two packs of shot bloks, a packet of gu, and my disgusting-yet-superb homemade gooo concoction (this time: sauerkraut juice! yummy!), plus cytomax at every drink stop.  I also had water with the cytomax so overall I'm sure I was twice as hydrated, twice as calorified, and probably as caffienated as I've ever been.  I think it worked: I never hit a wall.  It felt more like a steady, consistent decline over the course, which doesn't sound like a triumph but actually felt like one.  Compared to last year, feeling like I was swinging 60-lb slabs of granite from my hips over the final bridge, a slow steady decline was quite heavenly!

I've also learned not to screw with food.  I can't eat gluten.  I can't eat sugar.  I reeeeally really shouldn't eat dairy.  Sucky as that is, them's the facts, and that sucky doesn't hold a candle to the Sucky that happens when I get out there with burning lungs and screwy stomach.  Cupcake, you can eat me as far as I'm concerned, because not much feels quite that crappy.  New year, renewed commitment, grownup choice.  Unlike my hat today:

 Anyway.  Looking for a big PR at Disney, and think I have the tools to do it.  Next stop: a big ole plan...

ps- 30 miles so far in Janathon! Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment